Mahashivaratri is celebrated widely in the temples all over India. Shiva is considered the Adi (first) Guru from whom the yogic tradition originates. According to tradition, the planetary positions on this night are such that there is a powerful natural upsurge of energy in the human system. It is said to be beneficial for one's physical and spiritual wellbeing to stay awake and aware throughout the night.
The Mahashivratri fasting begins on the morning of Shivratri and ends next day morning or the Amavasya morning.
How to observe Shivaratri
1. Wake up before sunrise and take bath and wear clean clothes.
2. Apply sacred Ash.
3. Lit a lamp to Idol of Shiva.
4. Visit near by shiva temple.
5. Observe complete fast or partial fast .You can consume non cereal meal. You can go for a fruit diet and drink lots of water.
6. No meal is eaten after sunset.
7. Next meal is taken on the morning of Amavasi after doing puja.
8. The entire night is spend in a nearby Shiva temple or by chanting Mantras or listening to stories related to Shiva.
Om Namah Shivaya!