Buddhists do not believe that death is the end of life. When one dies, one's consciousness leaves and enters one of the six paths of rebirth.
- Heavenly Beings
- Asuras are beings who have many good things in life, but still like to fight. They appear in the heavens or on earth as people or animals.
- Hungry ghosts are beings who suffer from constant hunger.
The wheel of life and death is kept turning by the three poisons of greed, hatred, and stupidity. By cutting off the three poisons, we can escape the wheel and become enlightened. There are four stages of enlightenment.
- Buddhas- perfect in enlightenment.
- Bodhisattvas- enlighten themselves as well as others.
- Pratyekabuddhas- hermits who retreat from the world to enlighten themselves.
- Arhats- enlighten themselves.